Sunday, October 23, 2011

The One Where We Went to New York

Look, don't get mad about the six day blog hiatus. I had a REALLY busy week. And when I say really busy, I mean not busy enough to miss any of my most important TV shows, just busy enough not to have time to blog. I realize that it would be very much like me to start a blog and stop blogging after a few posts (see here), but this time is different and I will prove it to all of you. Mostly to myself though.

 So following our super fabulous wedding, we took off to New York for a week and it was very possibly the most amazing/delicious/crazy awesome week of my life. 

We stayed at a little place called the Waldorf Astoria- you may have heard of it. It was so fancy! You couldn't wear jeans in the lobby after 5:00 PM and anytime I picked up the phone they would say "Good Evening, Mrs. Williams. What can we do for you?" and I wanted to be like EVERYTHING I LOVE ALL THE THINGS. But my mother would be proud to know that I kept my cool. And my pinkies up.

Most people would have meticulously planned everyday on this vacation. We were more of the let's-walk-around-and-see-what-we-stumble-on kind of people.

We found the Rockefeller Center first thing where we ran through the NBC store like children, reminiscing about all of our favorite NBC shows (Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, The Office). I walked away with a Bluth's Frozen Banana Stand t-shirt, JR with a Dwight t-shirt. Success.


Most important things to invest in when traveling to New York: crazy comfy but stylish shoes and a Beth Rizley Evans satchel, seen above.

We also found Grand Central, which was large and reminded me of London, and who doesn't love both of those things.

We learned quickly that it is very difficult to take posed scenic shots with the Selfie Method. "A" for effort.
 
Any planning that we did do was food-related. We journeyed to the infamous Shake Shack where we feasted on burgers, hot dogs, french fries and, of course, shakes.

Here is JR, mid-french fry bite.

Me, mid-hotdog bite. Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about hotdogs. And this one was absolute perfection.

And the World Famous "Concrete".

Also on the Delicious List, but not pictured: Five Napkin Burger (need I say more?), Bouchon Bakery (for French Macarons), Carmine's most amazing meatballs, Le Pain (for weird waffle things that blew my mind).

We each chose a museum to go to; JR picked the Museum of Natural History and I picked the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Museum of Natural History was so fun. We made our way through every floor, trying to appreciate all the tribal exhibits but mostly charging past them. Don't worry, we stopped to see the very most important things.

Like this guy from Night at the Museum!

Until we finally made it to the DINOSAUR FLOOR. Oh dinosaurs. You are the best.

We did a lot of this:


Okay, fine. I did a lot of this:

And in the middle of all of that, someone asked if we wanted a picture together. Oh, right, of course we do.

Megaladon tooth! I've touched a Megaladon tooth!

For those of you who don't know how awesome Megaladon is, please click here. You must learn.

The main reason we went to the Met was to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit. He was an amazing designer who died last year, and this was pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I was dying to go. He designed a lot of Lady Gaga's crazy outfits and was known for being very Avant Garde. I thought JR would absolutely hate it but it ended up being one of his favorite parts of the trip.

We couldn't take pictures inside the exhibit, but it was one of the coolest things I have ever, ever seen.


We also saw three incredible plays: Mary Poppins, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Phantom of the Opera. I highly recommend them all. 

Also a great excuse to dress up, which I love.
The trip was perfect in every way. I am hoping that in twenty or thirty years JR will take me back to New York to run around like idiots again, I can't think of anyone in the world I'd rather do that with.

1 comment:

  1. Did you delete my comment? Too bad. I am reposting it. I have a picture of Sean posed like the T-rex, doing the exact thing in the exact place as you. Just emailed it to you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete